Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2015

FEMA issues warning to City of Alexander

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has sent an advisory notice to the residents of Alexander warning them that inaction by the City Council will result in, “Suspension from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).” According to the notice residents will lose not only access to government-backed flood insurance but it can also affect loans and disaster relief.

Mayor Paul Mitchell received the notice after he informed FEMA officials the city council did not pass the ordinance required to remain in the program. The ordinance entitled, “An ordinance providing for the establishment of a flood prevention program,” was part of the agenda for a special meeting held Monday, June 29. The deadline for passage of the ordinance is Monday, July 6.

The notice from FEMA reads as follows;

ATTN: RESIDENTS OF ALEXANDER

Consequences of Suspension from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

The NFIP is a voluntary program but does have implications of not participating.

Per the 1973 Flood Disaster Protection Act, Public Law 93-234, flood insurance is required for federally backed loans for property located in the Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA).

Property owners will not be able to purchase flood insurance and existing policies will not be renewed.

Lenders may require homeowners to "payoff' loan if flood insurance is not available through the NFIP.

Federal backed flood insurance will not be available. No owner of a residence, business or public building will be able to purchase a federal flood insurance policy. Individuals may obtain private insurance (ex. Lloyd's of London) but will be at a considerable cost.

If a county is declared for FEMA individual assistance, no federal disaster assistance will be provided to repair insurable buildings located in identified special flood hazard areas for damage caused by a flood.

Federal grants, loans, or loan guarantees are prohibited for the acquisition or construction of buildings made in identified special flood hazard areas under programs administered by Federal agencies such as HUD including CDBG, EPA, SBA, HHS, DOT, DOE, etc.

No Federal mortgage insurance may be provided in identified flood hazard areas.

Federally insured or regulated lending institutions, such as banks and credit unions, must notify applicants seeking loans for insurable buildings in flood hazard areas that property is located in a flood hazard.

Communities that do not participate in the NFIP are not eligible to apply for certain federal grants that include disaster and non-disaster related. These include Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM), Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA), Repetitive Flood Claims (RPC), and Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL).

Actuarial rates go into effect regardless of whether or not a community participates in the program. Unprotected construction today may be prohibitively expense to insure should community later re-enter the program.

Local governing body may be susceptible to some form of liability by not participating because their action denies the ability of its citizens to purchase flood insurance.

This notice is being posted around town with an addition at the top. In red the added heading reads;

PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE WATCHED IN SHOCK AS ANDREA BEARDEN BROWN; ALDERMAN OF WARD 3. seat 1 LED A RAILING REBELLION AGAINST MAYOR PAUL MITCHELL. REFUSING TO APPROVE ANYTHING BROUGHT TO THE COUNCIL TO APPROVE. VOTNG ALONG WITH HER WERE LONNY CHAPMAN. LOUIS HOBBS AND ANDY MULLINS. AS A RESULT THE FLOOD ORDINANCE WAS NOT APPROVED AND THE FOLLOWING IS A WARNING FROM FEMA ON WHAT THIS COMMUNITY FACES AS A RESULT OF THIS REBELLIOUS BEHAVIOR.

During the June 29 meeting Mitchell said the ordinance needs to be approved, “So people don’t lose their flood insurance and so if a flood does occur FEMA can respond.”

Alderwoman Andrea Bearden asked, “When was the last time we had a flood?”

The ordinance is also part of an updated flood map provided by FEMA. Bearden wanted to see the map.

“I’d like to see the map,” Bearden said.

“They’re up there (in city hall) for public viewing,” Mitchell responded. “They’re so thick and huge … you (the public) just have to come in and look at them.”

“I’d like to see the map before I go voting on an ordinance,” Bearden added.

In order for the ordinance to go into effect before July 6 the council needed a two-thirds majority to suspend the requirement the ordinance be read three times at three different public meetings. That would be six of the eight aldermen voting “Yes.” It also required a two-thirds vote on an “Emergency Clause” suspending the 90-day waiting period allowing the ordinance to go into effect immediately. In both cases aldermen Louis E. Hobbs, Andy Mullins, Andrea Bearden, and Lonny Chapman voted “No.” Aldermen Jeffery S. Watson, Stephanie Beck, Dan Church, and Melissa Ratliff voted “Yes.”

For more on that meeting see article below.


4 comments:

  1. I didn't know who I could trust and believe when I moved out here 43 years ago...sadly I still don't know who I can trust and believe.

    There have been a lot of improvements made since I first moved here and it all looks much better than back then. Our water quality has improved greatly. I am thankful for all the improvements that have been made thus far. And grateful to all that made sure those improvements were made. I am thankful for all who are working now to make our city even better.

    I have attended meetings off and on over the years but never witnessed much getting done. The last meeting I attended was more orderly than any other I had attended but not a lot got done in that one either.

    My prayer is that before I leave this life I can see our elected officials working together as a team for the betterment of our city and there will be no doubt who I can believe.

    You are all in my prayers.

    Maggie Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie & Pooh; thanks for your heart-felt note to the Alexandrian. I know that progress can be frustrating, slow and hard to understand. I didn’t until I started to work within the system. The governing boday consists of 9 people; 9 opinions and 9 ambitions. It is very difficult sometimes for each to ‘get’ the full picture of exactly what their position is. Some are and will remain quiet, some are thinkers, some are doers and some are too ambitious. But over-all I think we have a good group. I hope they learn to work together as well, private debate is illegal, but it happens. Open debate is provided for but seldom used. It is the City Council’s call to schedule open debate. Snacks served might bring more people out.
      Speaking from my own experience, working with this mayor and his staff and with this council, he is available, approachable and trust worthy. Some people think because his vision might not be identical with his, that he is ‘wrong,’ but vision and ambition are not the same thing.
      I invite you to call for an appointment and come in, visit, look around, get acquainted and offer your vision for Alexander.
      JoAn Churchill, Bookkeeper

      Delete
    2. Edited copy, sorry, I don’t know how to remove the first one.

      Maggie & Pooh; thanks for your heart-felt note to the Alexandrian. I know that progress can be frustrating, slow and hard to understand. I didn’t until I started to work within the system. The governing body consists of 9 people; 9 opinions and 9 ambitions. It is very difficult sometimes for each to ‘get’ the full picture of exactly what their position is.

      Some are and will remain quiet, some are thinkers, some are doers and some are too ambitious. But over-all I think we have a good group. I hope they learn to work together as well, private debate is illegal, but it happens. Open debate is provided for but seldom used. It is the City Council’s call to schedule open debate. Snacks served might bring more people out.

      Speaking from my own experience, working with this mayor and his staff and with this council, he is available, approachable and trust worthy. Some people think because his vision might not be identical with theirs, that he is ‘wrong,’ but vision and ambition are not the same thing.

      I invite you to call for an appointment and come in, visit, look around, get acquainted and offer your vision for Alexander.

      JoAn Churchill, Bookkeeper

      Delete
  2. Thank you JoAn for taking the time to read and reply to my note. I also thank you for the invitation to make an appointment to visit. I cannot do that because I am full time caregiver for my husband and we are no longer able to get out and about very much. That is why I am glad I stumbled upon this page as I was searching for something else a few months ago. I am hoping that I can keep up with what is going on in our city by checking here.

    I email the Mayor when I have something to say or ask and he has been very kind and timely in replying to my emails. Some of the Council members I know and some I do not, but I have no issues with any of them. I just wish all our city leaders could be respectful to each other, work together as a team and do what is best for the city as a whole.

    Thank you again,

    Maggie Miller

    ReplyDelete